Wednesday, September 18, 2019

The Last House Guest: Megan Miranda

The Last House Guest: Megan Miranda
There are always books that have a huge amount of media attention and hype around them. I always try to read those books, but I usually end up disappointed. But I finally found one that lived up to the hype: The Last House Guest from Megan Miranda.

This book had all the elements I love in a story. Avery, the main character, grew up in the vacation town of Littleport, Maine, but was never one of the "it" girls. Until she was befriended by super popular and rich Sadie. The girls became like sisters and Avery even moved in with Sadie's family after Avery's family was killed in a wreck.

This book picks up in their adult years at the end-of-summer party. Sadie never arrives at the party, and Avery and friends soon learn she has died from a leap off a nearby cliff on the shore. Avery never believes the story, but accepts it as it is once the police have confirmed it.

A year later, strange things begin happening around Avery and she begins to suspect the police did not do their job adequately. The story and events that unfold had me on the edge of my seat and flipping pages as quickly as I could. I loved the suspense of watching the truth begin to unfold, and the conflict the characters had in interacting with each other.

This is a five-star book for me.